Pasta, Pesto and Peas

As you've probably guessed I LOVE recipes that Ina Garten makes. Although some of her recipes can be extremely complicated, expensive and difficult to find ingredients for. This is by far one of my favorite recipes that she makes. I LOVE anything that you place pesto in. There is something about that green goo that just adds to a recipe.

Pasta, Pesto and Peas

Ina Garten

Ingredients

  • 3/4 pound fusilli pasta
  • 3/4 pound bow tie pasta
  • 1/4 cup good olive oil
  • 1 1/2 cups pesto (packaged or see recipe below)
  • 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1 1/4 cups good mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen peas, defrosted
  • 1/3 cup pignoli (pine nuts)
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions

Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, according to pasta package. The recipe calls for both fusilli and bow tie pasta. I use whatever pasta I have on hand. I used bow tie pasta this time. Drain and toss into a bowl with the olive oil. Cool to room temperature.

In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade, puree the pesto and lemon juice. Add the mayonnaise and puree. I LOVE any recipe that allows me to pull out my food processor.

Place the pine nuts on a baking sheet and place in the oven (about 350 degrees) for a couple minutes. It only takes a couple minutes for them to become toasted. You'll need to watch them carefully. When I made this recipe last night Chris walked in the door just as I placed the pine nuts in the oven. I completely forgot about the nuts in the oven, until I began to smell them burning. My wonderful husband ran to the store to pick up more pine nuts, as this recipe isn't complete without the pine nuts.

Add the pesto mixture to the cooled pasta and then add the Parmesan, peas, pignoli, salt, and pepper. Mix well, season to taste, and serve at room temperature.

This is a great summer recipe. I love to serve it with chicken on the grill and fresh fruit. Our local grocery store had fresh melon on sale. I'm always looking for the best deals.


Comments

  1. Love this recipe. I would make it, but Grant is not a fan of pesto so I'd be eating it all by myself!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts