Grandma's Biscuits

Last January my family made the extremely difficult decision to place my grandmother into an Alzheimer's facility. My grandparents were living in a two bedroom apartment in a retirement community, well when Grandma was moved to the Alzheimer's facility my grandfather decided to downsize to a one bedroom apartment. Chris and I helped my aunt sort through my grandmothers possessions. I was extremely fortunate to walk away with all of my grandmothers recipes. Now I'm faced with the task of sorting through the recipes and attempting to make as many of them as possible.

While sorting through the recipes I came across many recipes that were my Great-Grandma Campbell's. Great-Grandma Campbell was my moms dad's mother. My grandfather grew up on a farm in Kansas and he was the oldest of six kids. Needless to say many of the recipes are simple and easy to make. My favorite recipe I've found so far is for my great-grandmothers fried chicken. In the recipe she explains how you need to chase the chicken around the yard, pluck it and so forth. I believe I can skip the first couple steps of that recipe.

Do you ever find yourself needing bread to go with your stew? Here's a recipes that my great-grandma Campbell was known for making. It's a recipe that I always have the ingredients for.

Grandma's Biscuits

2 1/2 cups of flour
5 tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tb sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 Tb of Crisco per cup of flour
Milk (Buttermilk is the best) to make stick together.

Mix all the ingredients together. Use the milk to make it stick together. Don't overdue it though. You don't want the dough to be soggy. Form the dough into a ball. Place on a cheese cloth and roll out.
Use a biscuit cutter and cut out about 12 biscuits.
Place biscuits on a cookie sheet. I like to cover the cookie sheet with parchment paper.

Bake at 425 degrees for 10-12 minutes. I began watching the timer at about 8 minutes.



If you have honey in your pantry that makes the biscuits so much better. My dad's aunt gave Chris and I a jar of honey from the mountains of NC, where my dad's family is from. So, when we combine the biscuits and honey it's like we're bringing both sides of my family together.

Addition to blog: After posting this my mom made the suggestion that you use buttermilk instead of milk.

Also, my aunt Joyce made the suggestion that you may add more baking powder to make the biscuits fluffier.

Comments

Popular Posts