Bean Dip and Auntie Sheila

My Auntie Sheila turned 60 today!!!

I first met Sheila in 1993 when my dad began working at the Family Research Council in DC. Sheila was the vibrant office receptionist. As a junior high student I remember looking forward to the days when I could volunteer in the office, because it meant I got to see Sheila. I went on to work at FRC while I was in college and as a result worked very closely with Sheila on a daily basis. Well, as the years went on Sheila and her husband, Ken moved south, into a home a couple miles from my parents and eventually became members of my church. I babyset for her grandchildren, stayed with her when my parents would travel and gained an amazing "Auntie Sheila". Over the years Sheila would try setting me up with various co-workers, family friends and any other single men within a 10 year age range of me. Well, when I became engaged to Chris he quickly was adopted by Sheila. It was only fitting that we ask Sheila, the best pianist we know to play for our wedding. Unfortunately, a few weeks before the wedding Sheila was diagnosed with breast cancer and right before the wedding she had a complete mastectomy. We ended finding another amazing pianist, but were really sad that Sheila couldn't play for our wedding. Fortunately she was able to make it to the ceremony, despite the pain she was dealing with.

September 18, 2010

As a way to celebrate her 60 years, some of the women in our church threw her a suprise birthday.

We were asked to bring munchies to the surprise party. As I began thinking about what to make I knew that it needed to be something easy, something I could do when I got home from work and something YUMMY! I decided to make a bean dip that was first introduced to me by my friend Kelsey. When Kelsey moved in with my family in 2007 she began sharing some of her amazing recipes. This is one of those recipes that we love to pull out for parties.

Bean Dip

Ingredients:
2 cans of corn (white or shoepeg)-Drained
2 cans of black beans-Drained
2 avocados (I add extra-Cut into bite size pieces)
3 limes (squeeze over ingredients)

To taste:
Red Onion
Celantro
Salt
Pepper

Drain the beans and corn.

Mix all the ingredients together.


Addition: After posting this entry my mom reminded me of the first time we made the bean dip. As I mentioned in my original post, Kelsey moved in with my family in June of 2007. On Friday night of that first week my mom sent Kels and I to Wegman's to pick up a couple items. One of the things on the list was 6 ears of corn. Well, we couldn't read my mom's handwriting, and we thought it said 6 cans of corn. We thought it seemed strange that my mom needed so many cans of corn, but we figured she must have been planning to make something that required a lot of corn. When we arrived home that night my mom just laughed. She couldn't believe we purchased 6 cans of corn....what would she do with that much corn??? Well, Kels came to the rescue and shared her fabulous bean dip. We haven't stopped making the dip since.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts