Valentines 2011

Valentines this year turned out to be very special. Chris surprised me with a dozen BEAUTIFUL roses at work and we were able to spend our evening at home with no interruptions.

For Valentines Day I wanted to make a special dinner, but due to Valentines falling on a Monday I needed a meal that I could prepare ahead of time and quickly throw together when I got home from work. I LOVE Chicken Cordon Bleu and I knew that I could prepare it Sunday night and throw it in the oven on Monday when I got home.

This is the recipe I grew up with my mom preparing. I don't have the actual recipe, but instead the recipe is written from me watching my mom all these years.

I can always tell when Chris likes a meal I've prepared, because he doesn't talk much during the meal. Needless to say Chris didn't talk much during this dinner.

Chicken Cordon Bleu


Boneless Chicken-1 per person
Flour
Bread Crumbs
Ham
Swiss Cheese
Parmesan Cheese
White Wine (Enough to taste)
Sour Cream-1 container
Cream of Mushroom Soup (1 can)
Mushrooms
Eggs (1-2 depending on how many you make)
Water
Salt/Pepper
Butter-2 Tablespoons
Olive Oil-2 Tablespoons

Pound chicken breast.
Place flour in a bowl, with salt/pepper.

Place bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in a bowl.

Place egg(s) and a couple Tablespoons of water in a bowl, whisk.
Place ham/cheese over the pounded chicken, roll, hold together w/tooth picks.

Roll the chicken in the flour mixture, roll into the egg mixture, then roll into bread crumb mixture.

Place chicken into skillet w/2 Tablespoons of butter and 2 Tablespoons of olive oil. Brown the chicken.

Place chicken in baking dish (8 1/2 X 11-depending on how many pieces of chicken you're cooking.

Mix can of mushrooms soup, sour cream, mushrooms and white wine.

Pour mixture over chicken.

Cook for 1 hour in the oven @ 350 degrees.

--------------------------------------------
Our favorite sides with Chicken Cordon Bleu are Brown Rice Casserole and fresh fruit.

Brown Rice Casserole


1 stick butter
1 cup rice (white)

Brown the butter and rice in a saucepan.

Add 1 can French Onion Soup
1 can Beef Consomme

Put in covered casserole dish
Cook for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
---------------------------------------

Brownies and Ice Cream

For dessert, I went all out. I opened a box of Ghirardelli Brownie mix and added the required oil, water and egg. :) I did do something a little something different, in that I made the brownies in a cupcake pan. To top it off, I added my FAVORITE ice cream, Edy's Thin Mint.



Comments

Popular Posts