Memory Tree

What traditions did your family have while you were growing up?

In my family we had many wonderful traditions that I look forward to passing down to my own children one day. One of those traditions began even before I was born. The tradition was to collect Christmas ornaments. I say it began before I was born, because my mom purchased an ornaments for me while she was pregnant with me. Every year my mom would give us an ornament (or 2 or 3) that represented the past year.

The year that I started at Liberty we found a small American flag ornament that had "Liberty" written on it. The year that I graduated from college I was given an ornament with a girl in a cap and gown. While I was in Israel I found a couple of hand carved ornaments made from olive wood. Last year while in Australia I purchased a beautiful hand blown glass ornament with a kangaroo painted on. Whether it's to represent my time at the top of Pikes Peak, my time floating in the Dead Sea, my walk through the streets of Melbourne, my role as a bridesmaid in my brothers wedding, I want an ornament to represent that event.

When thinking back to this past year I realize that I need many ornaments to represent the year. I need an ornament to represent my baby brother getting married. I need an ornament to represent when Chris asked me to be his wife. What about all of our travels? This year alone we went to the top of Pikes Peak in Colorado, visited the Air Force Academy, traveled to various places down south, traveled to Chattanooga, TN to attend the graduation ceremony of my sister-in-law Michelle and our list of adventures and memories goes on and on.

As I reflect on this past year and think of the ornaments that I purchased...a moose holding a sign that says: Pikes Peak, the Air Force Academy school emblem, and a lighthouse from Maine, I can't help but think of what event stands out the most and what ornament I want to reflect the year 2010.

The ornament that I want to stand out the most this year is the one that shows that Chris and I began a new life together, as husband and wife. I want an ornament that shows that this is the beginning of a new family and a new life together. I will always be a daughter, a sister, a cousin, and a friend, but now I'm a wife, probably the most important title (until now) I've ever had and will have until the day I become a mom.

What ornaments will I find next year to represent 2011?

The ornament that I found to represent our first year together. The picture was taken in Camden, Maine, while we were on our honeymoon.

Comments

Popular Posts