Red Beans and Rice

Here's another incredibly easy recipe. This is another meal that I grew up with my mom making. What I love about this meal is that it can be made in the crock pot and cooks while I'm at work. It's also extremely EASY!! I prepared this the night before I wanted to eat it, placed the crock pot insert in the frig. Then in the morning I pulled the pot out of the frig and placed it into the crock and turned on. Can't get much easier than that.

Red Beans and Rice


Ingredients:
  • 1 lb red beans
  • 2 quarts water (I used chicken stock) -My mom only used 5 cups-It depends on how much liquid you want.
  • 1 thick slice pork; cubed (I didn't have pork, so I didn't put this in)
  • 1 lb hot sausage, thinly sliced
  • 2 cups chopped onion
  • 2 celery stalks, chopped
  • 1 bunch green onions, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 4 bay leaves
  • Pinch of thyme
  • Salt/Pepper
  • Hot Pepper Sauce
  • Freshly cooked rice
Rinse the red beans.

Place your beans and other ingredients in dutch oven or crock pot and add water/chicken stock.

Add next 8 ingredients.

Stir your ingredients.

Dutch Oven: If you're preparing the dish this way, bring your ingredients to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3 hours.

Crock pot: If you're preparing the dish this way, place everything in the crock pot and turn on low. Allow to cook all day.

Prepare white rice.

Serve the red beans over white rice.

Serve with your favorite hot sauce.

Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular Posts