Sturgis' Soft Pretzels


When Chris and I got married my mother-in-law gave me a file of all her favorite recipes. This is one of those recipes I've been wanting to try for a while. The recipe came from Colonial Home Magazine in 1983. I was barely eating solid foods in 1983. :) 

Well, I finally found time to try these amazing pretzels. This was a new adventure for me, as I've never made soft pretzels before. This will be a fun recipe to make with Campbell when he's a little older. 

The great thing about this recipe is that it's easy, doesn't require a lot of ingredients and it uses ingredients I always have on hand. 
Dissolve the yeast in 1/8 cup water. 
Stir in 1 1/3 cups warm water, brown sugar, and flour. 
Beat until smooth; then knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. 
In a saucepan, measure 2 T. baking soda to each cup of water, until the pan is filled. 
Bring to a boil. 
 Break off pieces of dough the size of a lemon.
Roll dough into pencil shapes.
 Twist into pretzels
 Place twists into boiling water for 15 seconds, or until dough is golden yellow.
 Remove, and place on a salted cookie sheet; salt tops of pretzels. 
Bake in a preheated 475 degree oven for about 8-10 minutes.
Enjoy!!! 

Comments

Popular Posts