Snowy Day Recipes

When the snow is piled up outside, the schools are closed and even the government is shut down, what should one do?
Our front entrance
COOK!!!

On Thursday Chris was on his normal break and due to the snow that we had I was able to work from home. If you've been around me than you know that I LOVE to cook, but due to my work schedule I don't always have the time to prepare the meals that I love. Most nights I get home around 5:30 and immediately go work out. By the time I'm finished with my workout it's 6:30 and I'm looking for an easy meal, so that we're not eating dinner at 9PM.


On Wednesday night when I realized how much snow we were getting I realized that I would likely be working from home. I decided that I would be able to prepare one of my favorite meals. The meal is extremely easy, but it does require me to begin preparing it the night before. Why, you may ask. Because it requires you to soak beans in the crock pot over night. If you love chili and chicken, this is the recipe for you. It's AMAZING!!!

White Lightening Texas Chili
  • 1 pound dried navy beans
  • 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans ready to serve chicken broth, divided or 6 cups water with 3-4 chicken cups
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon ground white pepper
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 5 cups chopped cooked chicken
  • 2 (4 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
  • Shredded Monterrey jack cheese
  • Salsa
  • Sour Cream
Wash beans, place in crock pot with water. Don't turn on. Keep in crock pot over night.

In the morning, discard the liquid and add the next 10 ingredients.

Cook on low all day. Sometimes I turn to high if it looks like it's not cooking fast enough.

Top with cheese, salsa and sour cream

Serve immediately

Yield: 12 cups

WONDERFUL!!!

You can't eat the chili by itself. Our favorite side are corn muffins.

My wonderful husband actually informed me that he thought they were better than his favorite corn muffins from "Famous Dave's".

Raspberry Corn Muffins
-Makes 12 Large Muffins

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup medium cornmeal
  • 2 Tablespoons baking powder
  • 1 1/2 Teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 pound unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 2 extra-large eggs
  • 3/4 cup good raspberry preserves
-Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
-Line 12 large muffin cups with paper liners.
-In a bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix the flour, sugar, cornmeal, baking powder and salt.
-In a separate bowl, combine the milk, melted butter, and eggs. With the mixer on the lowest speed, pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and stir until they are just blended.
-Spoon the batter into the paper liners, filling each one to the top.
-Bake for 30 minutes, until the tops are crisp and a toothpick comes out clean.
-Cool slightly and remove from the pan.

After the muffins cool, spoon the raspberry preserves into a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. Push the tip of the bag through the top of the bag through the top of the muffin and squeeze 1 and 2 tablespoons of preserves into the middle. Repeat for each muffin.

Comments

Popular Posts