Life As A New Mom


A few years ago when I started this blog my intention was to write multiple times a week, while sharing recipes and pictures of the various meals I made that week. Needless to say life got in the way and that dream quickly died. Now in 2013, after being married 2 ½ years, becoming a mother just a few months ago, and stepping down from my full time position with a large defense contractor I find myself craving intellectual conversation and desiring an outlet where I can share my frustrations, joys and crazy stories.

Just 5 months ago my life included black business suits, red high heels, Starbucks coffee, a personal blackberry, uninterrupted sleep, and free weekends. Then in September, with the arrival of my almost 11 lb. baby, that all changed. My life now includes clothes that smell like sour milk, short sleep cycles, loads of more laundry than I knew one small family could dirty, puddles of spit-up, and a DVD player that doesn’t seem to remember to play anything but Baby Genius and Veggie Tales. If only I had thought to invent a video series years ago that included colorful animals dancing around to annoying music. I would be a millionaire.  It blows my mind how a small child can be so enamored by such a simple movie.  Now if only I could stop singing “I like to eat ay-ples and ba-nay-nays…”.  What are ay-ples and ba-nay-nays??? What are we teaching our children?

There are so many things that your mother tells you about pregnancy, delivery and motherhood. There are even more things she “forgets” to tell you. Could it be she wants you to have to discover things for yourself? Could it be she just wants a phone call from you, and she knows you’ll be calling her multiple times a day when the various issues come up? Can I tell you how many times a day I call my mom? “Mom, the baby left a trail of spit-up from the kitchen to the bedroom, is that NORMAL?” “Mom, the baby has a rash the shape of Texas, should I call the doctor”.  And the questions go on and on…

There are so many things I would love to write about, everything from frustrations of being a working mom, even if it’s part time, to how to sleep train your child without losing your mind in the process.

As I begin this crazy journey we call motherhood I’m sure I’ll have many days of laughter, chaos, frustration, and joy.  Come along with me and I begin this new journey…

Comments

Popular Posts