Teriyaki Salmon


For years my mom has made the joke that I can't cook and she felt sorry for my future husband. Well, I guess I surprised everyone with my love for cooking and my desire to experiment with recipes. When Chris and I got married we decided early on that dinner time was going to be our special time at the end of the day, the time each day when we turned off the TV, closed our blinds to the outside world and focused on one another. This has been one of our favorite times of the day. We make the most of that time by lighting the candles, enjoying a glass of wine and spending time with one another, reflecting on our day.

Chris and I are always looking for new recipes. Not only are we looking for meals that are easy to prepare after a long workday, but also something that is somewhat healthy and tasty. My aunt Tina gave us a cookbook for healthy meals that are quick. PERFECT for two busy people like Chris and I.

For those of you who are interested in a fabulous recipe that is quick and yummy, check this out. Chris doesn't usually care for Salmon, but he LOVES this.

Teriyaki Salmon with Mushrooms

Prep: 3 Minutes
Cook: 15 Minutes

1/4 cup dry sherry
1/4 cup low-sodium teriyaki sauce (I use Soy Sauce)
2 Tablespoons light brown sugar
1 teaspoon canola oil
1 (8 ounce) package presliced baby portobello mushrooms
4 (6-ounce) skinless salmon fillets (about 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick)-

I usually only make two salmon at a time, but make the complete recipe for the sauce, as we LOVE the sauce.

1. Combine first 3 ingredients in a small bowl; stir to dissolve sugar.

2. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high head; add mushrooms, and saute 4 minutes or until tender. Add 1/3 cup sherry mixture to mushrooms. Reduce head, and simmer 1 to 2 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Spoon mushrooms mixture into a bowl; set aside.

3. Heat pan over medium-high heat; add fillets. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side or until browned on all sides. Add mushrooms and remaining sherry mixture to pan; cook 2 minutes. Transfer fillets to a serving platter, and top with sauce and mushrooms. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 fillet and 2 tablespoons mushroom mixture).


The sides are almost as important as the main course. For this particular meal we chose a wild rice and fresh green beans that we sprinkled olive oil and garlic and put in the oven for about 10 minutes.

The salmon cooking


The finished product!


Comments

  1. Hey, Meg! Looks good! Can you tell us the name of the cookbook? Are there other good quick, healthy recipes in it? Love your house, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lauren!! I can't remember the exact name of the cookbook, but I'll look tonight when I get home and let you know. The book is entirely recipes that are quick/healthy meals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren, Here's the name of the cookbook: Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast: Weeknight Meals. Enjoy!!

    I'm still making my way through the book, but what I've read there are some great sounding recipes.

    http://www.amazon.com/Cooking-Light-Fresh-Food-Fast/dp/0848733185

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts